Fine Art/Alfred Alais - Sark

I have a copy of Alfred Alais' Sark. In the top margin is script "London Published July 17, 1883 by Henry Graves & Co. the Proprietors Publishers to H M the Queen and T R H the Prince and Princess of Wales 6 Pall Mall Copyright Registered Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1883 by M. Knoedler and Co. in the office of the Librarian of Congress at Washington."

It is stamped by the Printsellers Association with the initials LGF. It is also signed in pencil by Alfred Alais and Edwin Douglas. It does have some slight (I consider slight) water damage.

In your opinion, may I assume this to be of value?

Dear Nancy,

What you have is an engraving done by Alfred Clarence Alais after a painting by Edwin Douglas. I cannot locate another copy of this print for reference, but the combined artistís original prints are very desirable. Condition does affect the value. When looking for information on your print, Use Edwin Douglasí name rather than Alais. You will want to take it to an expert to see if yours is an original or a modern restrike (copy). The prints of Jersey cows are the most collectable of his images. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.