Fine Art/Info on identifing artist and age of painting

My grandmother passed away and upon going through her things I found a painting in her closet. The painting is about 4' X 3' and is painted on thin wood with wood frame. Frame appears to be painted a light gold color. Painting is of A black iron gate with a walk way and a lantern. All the black paint of the Gate is very thick and very detailed. The black paint is raised off the picture. The rest of the color sets flat to the picture. The background is a blueish green color for the sky.I remember her having the painting when I was a child about 20 years ago and I think she purchased it at a thrift store before that. The painting looks to be fairly old maybe about from the 60's or early 70's or older? On the bottom right hand side of the painting is signed only as (jos'e). I would love to have any info on this artist and the correct age of this picture. Any help would be appreciated!

LOL. As I predate your painting...this makes me not "fairly old" but "really old!"  

Sounds like you may well have a picture that is, in fact, oil on board.  Impossible for me to comment any more about your picture, but I would strongly encourage you to get the picture (or at least good digital photos of its front, rear, and signature closeup) to a local dealer or antique store.  They can give you a better idea.  If I had to guess wildly, I'd say you might have a manufactured artwork for the decorator market...the 1960s and 1970s saw a lot of mass art made to sell living room decor, and to appeal to the "low-brow" art collector.  A single name "Jos'e" makes one suspect this.

Again, see a local dealer who can give you a fix on what you have, and what the market might bring.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration