Fine Art/Need to identify

VT wrote at 2012-03-26 05:14:09
Not sure if it is an original, but it is a poster for an 1890 exhibition of Ukiyo-e Japanese woodblock prints at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts.

This exhibition inspired lots of Western artists to create similar work, most notably it inspired Mary Cassatt's famous color print series, (1890-91). She mentions the exhibition in a letter to fellow Impressionist Berthe Morisot. They and many other famous artists of the period attended the exhibition, which was organized by the German art dealer Siegfried Bing, who was residing in Paris.

The exhibition contained about 700 prints and 350 illustrated books and other works, mostly from the 18th and early 19th centuries.

Here is a link to a similar poster on the website for the BNF (national French library) in Paris, where you can also find the catalog (in French) for the exhibition:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/Search?ArianeWireIndex=index&p=1&lang=EN&q=exposition+grav

I'm writing my Masters Thesis on Cassatt's prints and am tangentially researching your expo, so let me know if I can be of any additional help.

Best of luck!

VT  

Dan Twyman