Fine Art/Rafael Tuck & Sons Litho by Duval

Question
Winter
Winter  
I have two Rafael Tuck & Sons Lithos by E J Duval. One is titled Winter and the other I have not taken out of the frame to find out the name. On the bottom left it shows COPYRIGHT (A LOGO) SERIES 48. My question is two fold. One, are they valuable enough to separately insure? And two, my Mother always said DO NOT REFRAME OR REMAT because I would be destroying their value. However, the frame and mat are in terrible shape and they could be so much more beautiful redone. Would I truely be making a huge dent in their value? I guess third, I would like to know more about the pair. Thank you very much in advance. I inherited these from my great aunt who traveled the world extensively. She lived from 1885 - 1975 in Dallas, Tx.

Answer
Depends on the materials used to frame it and if you are planning on selling. Some are of the mind that you should not alter art in any way, while others have art restored and re-framed. As long as you do not alter the prints themselves, you should be ok. In some cases, cheap mats were used in framing that can damage prints, so re-framing is a must for those works. As for value, I am not able to offer free appraisals and I have not examined the works to determine authenticity. There are many copies of similar prints on the low end market. I have seen old prints selling at low prices, some reach higer value but there are many factors to look at.
To give you specifics will take more time and work.

Dan

Dan Twyman