Fine Art/A Chabanian

Question
I have had an art piece I don't know much about but have kept it because I love the way the artist makes the light of the moon so real on water.  At times it looks a little melancholy but sometimes it can be very soothing. The piece is signed A. Chábanian. on the bottom left and also includes a copyright symbol with what looks like IPP Corp. The frame is old and the back of it has Klein #16 written on it with what looks like a black crayon. The canvas or paper has a texture to it.  I have had it for over 30 years.

Answer
Dear Marsha,

It sounds like you have a print on paper board by landscape and seascape artist Arsčne Chabanian (1864-1949); aliases: Arsen Chabanian; Arsen Šabanyan; Arsen Shabanian.

It is probably mid-century when it was very popular to put copies of artist’s work on heavy textured cardboard that is made to resemble brush strokes. If you do a search of the artist you will see similar work. I am glad you enjoy it.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley