Fine Art/Chagall print (lithograph), La Bastille Paris

Chagall Print
Chagall Print  
My husband bought a framed, Chagall print (lithograph?) decades ago, which is numbered in pencil, "92/375."  It depicts two lovers towards the bottom of a big red bull, with a lady in white off to the right.  I've attached a photo for you.  How can I tell if it's a lithograph? Can you give us any general idea of its value?  Thank you!  Linda

Hello Linda, this Chagall print is called La Bastille, Paris made in 1954. Also known as Die Bastille, and The Bastille. It is referenced in La collection Sorlier, a prominent catalog raisonné for Marc Chagall. It is supposed to be signed outside of the image in the bottom right.

Here is an image I found online that is very accurate compared to how it is supposed to look, which differs in several ways from yours. First, there should not be a signature in the image in the top left as yours is showing. Second, the white areas in your image should actually be only slightly lighter than the surrounding blue. Again, there should be a signature in the bottom right outside of the image in pencil, along with an edition number in the bottom left margin. With these issues in mind and from what I can see from your image, yours may not be created by Marc Chagall and may be not be authentic. The value of an authentic La Bastille is about $50,000 and a very prized Chagall print among his collectors.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University