Fine Art/Dali etching

Question
I have a Dali etching that my mother purchased in 1987 from Marlin Art Inc. in Deer Park, NY.  I have a Certificate of Authenticity that says it is called "Madonna and Child" and it is an original pencil signed Epreuve d'Artiste.

Do you think it may be worth anything and can your recommend an appraiser in the twin cities metro area?

Thanks for your time, I just don't know what to do with this...

Answer
Dear Erica,

The most important first step in evaluating a Salvador Dali print is having it authenticated. Who signed the COA is important as Dali prints receive a great deal of scrutiny due to the amount of fakes and “afters” that are on the market. If it is signed by Marlin Arts get information on the expert who authenticated it. Marlin Art is still in business and they might be a good source for information. Appraisers will require paperwork to give formal appraisals.

If you search for your print online you will see examples that should give you a good idea of retail value. Having a formal appraisal for insurance purposes can be up to several hundred dollars or more. If you want value for resell, contact an auction house in the Twin Cities for consignment opportunities.

The best place to find a qualified appraiser is through organizations. I have a few links for you to utilize below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

www.appraisersassoc.org
www.isa-appraisers.org
www.ifaacertified.com

Dolly D Headley