Fine Art/Dali etching

I have a Dali etching that my mother purchased in 1987 from Marlin Art Inc. in Deer Park, NY.  I have a Certificate of Authenticity that says it is called "Madonna and Child" and it is an original pencil signed Epreuve d'Artiste.

Do you think it may be worth anything and can your recommend an appraiser in the twin cities metro area?

Thanks for your time, I just don't know what to do with this...

Dear Erica,

The most important first step in evaluating a Salvador Dali print is having it authenticated. Who signed the COA is important as Dali prints receive a great deal of scrutiny due to the amount of fakes and “afters” that are on the market. If it is signed by Marlin Arts get information on the expert who authenticated it. Marlin Art is still in business and they might be a good source for information. Appraisers will require paperwork to give formal appraisals.

If you search for your print online you will see examples that should give you a good idea of retail value. Having a formal appraisal for insurance purposes can be up to several hundred dollars or more. If you want value for resell, contact an auction house in the Twin Cities for consignment opportunities.

The best place to find a qualified appraiser is through organizations. I have a few links for you to utilize below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.