Fine Art/HOMAGE TO LINCOLN

Question
HELLO ELLIOTT,
QUICK QUESTION: WHAT IS A SALVADORE DALI "HOMAGE TO LINCOLN" 1ST EDITION LITHO PRINT C. 1989 BY MAX INTER. LTD IN 18X24 FRAME # 83/500
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED
THANK-YOU HILDA

Answer
Dear Hilda,

Thank you for your question.  I believe the image to which you are referring may be 'Lincoln in Dalivision'.  If so, it is based on two paintings Dali executed, both titled 'Gala Looking at the Mediterranean Sea which at a Distance of 20 Meters is Transformed into the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln #Homage to Rothko#'.  According to Albert Field's 'Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', the image was published in 1977 by Levine & Levine in an edition of 1240, of which 65 are HC #hors de commerce -- not for sale, used for galleries and such#.  

'Lincoln in Dalivision' has been an extremely counterfeited image.  There is nothing in Field's guide that refers to an edition by Max Inter., leading me to wonder what exactly it is that you have.  There were two editions of posters published in 1980 -- by the Salvador Dali Museum in Florida and the Teatre-Museu Dali in Figueres --, but neither was in a numbered edition as you describe.  I am concerned that you may have a fake work, though I am neither an authenticator nor an appraiser myself, so my information is based wholly on others' research.  For a proper appraisal -- and, indeed, to determine your work's authenticity --, I recommend seeking the opinion of a professional who specialises in Dali's graphics.  Options include the Salvador Dali Archives in New York at http://daliarchives.com/, the Salvador Dali Society in Los Angeles at http://www.dali.com, and/or Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM at http://www.bernardewell.com/.

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck!

Kind regards,
Elliott  

Elliott H. King