Fine Art/Marc Chagall

Question
I have a Chagall that was given to me as a gift with the guarantee that it is signed by Marc Chagall.  When I look up this particular print on the internet it shows it without a signature.
I would like to have it appraised for insurance purposes Please
advise.  The signature apprears to be in pencil and is positioned in the white of the 10 commandments.  Thank you so much.

Answer
Dear Mickey,

Since Chagall is arguably the most reproduced and forged artist in the world; outside of Picasso and Dali; it is very important to have provenance,(the arts history), and the signature authenticated by an expert. It would be best to consign a fine art appraiser or take it to a local museum that offers authentication services. Very few museums provide authentication services, but they should be able to point you in the direction of a reputable service. You can also find experts through the American Society of Appraisers or similar art related organizations. Their websites are found through a search engine. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley