Fine Art/Numbered Chagall print

My husband bought a framed Chagall print decades ago, that is numbered, in pencil, "92/375."  It has two lovers towards the bottom with a red bull, and another woman to the right, in white.  How do we know if it is a lithograph?  Does it have a name?  Does it have any value?

Hi Linda, your description of two lovers and a red bull covers about half of Chagalls works! What we need to do is compare the image to those in Chagall's catalog raisonnÚs to figure out which piece you own. It may be a reproduction worth very little, or it may be an original lithograph worth thousands. One of the easiest ways to tell something might be a lithograph is the plate mark (an indentation) around the edge of the image that is created when the paper was pressed onto the stone. So send me an image and I can give you a better answer or at least point you in the right direction.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University