Fine Art/Original Chagall lithograph

Question
Chagall
Chagall  
Dear Andrew: My uncle bought a Chagall years ago and unfortunately the authenticity certificate was lost after his divorce. Could you please tell me the name of these piece, when it was made, etc  and who can you recommend me to authenticate it again to get a certificate.

Answer
Dear Raymundo de la Mora,

The Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is nice to have, but is not a requirement. And if the COA was from a company that no longer exists, then it means nothing. First, I would compare the piece to these Chagall lithographs for sale http://www.masterworksfineart.com/inventory/chagall to get an idea of its worth compared to other works with the same amount in the edition (i.e. if yours is 41/50, then look for others that are of editions of 50).

This piece is historically documented as The Magic Flute 2 from the signed edition of 50. It should be on arches wove paper, which is a flat material. It looks to me like this may be on Japon paper, which is kind of fuzzy. So my question to you is: is the paper flat or slightly fuzzy?

You can also contact the owner of Masterworks Fine Art, Alex Adelman, and ask him for more details. Feel free to contact me again if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans