Fine Art/Original Chagall lithograph

Dear Andrew: My uncle bought a Chagall years ago and unfortunately the authenticity certificate was lost after his divorce. Could you please tell me the name of these piece, when it was made, etc  and who can you recommend me to authenticate it again to get a certificate.

Dear Raymundo de la Mora,

The Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is nice to have, but is not a requirement. And if the COA was from a company that no longer exists, then it means nothing. First, I would compare the piece to these Chagall lithographs for sale to get an idea of its worth compared to other works with the same amount in the edition (i.e. if yours is 41/50, then look for others that are of editions of 50).

This piece is historically documented as The Magic Flute 2 from the signed edition of 50. It should be on arches wove paper, which is a flat material. It looks to me like this may be on Japon paper, which is kind of fuzzy. So my question to you is: is the paper flat or slightly fuzzy?

You can also contact the owner of Masterworks Fine Art, Alex Adelman, and ask him for more details. Feel free to contact me again if you have any more questions.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University