Fine Art/Roberto Matta gouche artwork

Question
Hi Andrew,

I've recently acquired a gouche work signed by Roberto Matta, but without any date. The person I purchased it off tells me that an elderly gentleman sold it to him without any documents of authenticity because it was hand drawn for a friend of his.

I'm aware that art forgery is quite a rampant business, so I was wondering if there are any simple ways of knowing if this piece is authentic or not?

Thank you :-)

Pablo

Answer
Hi Pablo,

In short, no there is no easy way to judge authenticity. You can look at the work closely to see if there are dots from a printer either in the image or on the signature (it's often easier to see in the signature). If the work was hand drawn for his friend, then there may be no record of that piece existing, thus making it more difficult to appraise and authenticate. You will need to find out what authority authenticates works for Roberto Matta. Contact an auction house such as Bonhams or Christies, or a fine art dealer http://www.ifaacertified.com/locate.html if you would like a more definite answer. In the end, an undocumented work like this usually needs to be officially authenticated by the estate of the artist, or whomever is in charge of their works, before most people will feel confident in purchasing it.

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans