Fine Art/"THE BIRTH OF THE FLAG"

Question
"THE BIRTH OF THE FLAG"
"THE BIRTH OF THE FLAG  
I have a print titled "THE BIRTH OF THE FLAG" It is very old with no dates and all it says at the bottom of picture is "THE BIRTH OF THE FLAG-Painting By Henry Mosler" in the bottom right corner is has COPR,The KN and that is all I can read because there is a piece that came off but I have that piece in the frame.On the left corner there is another piece that came off also but the print is whole with picture.it is about 9 1/2 "x 12 i think. I don't want to take the print out of the frame cause it is old and so is the frame. I have more pictures I can  send  to you if someone would like to help me find out what this print is worth.

Answer
Dear Mo,

The print has some damage and if you plan to keep it in your collection you should take it to a framer and have them reframe using archival acid free paper and matting. The print is probably a photogravure made after the artist's original painting. The value is not easy to estimate due to the unknown damage that may become evident after removing the print from the frame. I can see waves in the paper suggesting water exposure/damage. I can only make a guess, but I would say the value to be less than $50 for the print.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley