Fine Art/Chagall Chloe Offset Lithograph

Chagall Chloe
Chagall Chloe  
I recently purchased the above offset lithograph with original authenticated Chagall signature per Herman Darvick.  This lithograph, however, does not have an edition number.  Would there be original signature prints without addition numbers or would this possibly be a computer generated copy with an original signature which would make the artwork no longer a part of an edition, therefore, significantly decreasing the value?  

This print is framed, and the signature is in the bottom right in the color portion of the piece.  Is it possible there would be an edition number but is covered by the matte?  

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Sherry Minor

Dear Sherry,

I am afraid I do not have good news for you. Your print is a forgery in every way. Chagall never released offset lithographs and there is no known record of him ever signing one of these reproductions or forgeries. In addition to the print being a reproduction; according to online sources the autograph “expert” who signed your letter of authenticity has been banned from most autograph organizations and any of his authentications are considered highly suspect.

I hope you did not pay much for the print as it has no value other than aesthetic. These incidences give the industry a bad reputation. Collectors should always buy fine art from reputable dealers.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.