Fine Art/Dali Song of Songs

Question
dear elliott,
i thank you for the opportunity to pose this question.  i collect salvador dali art, and own 11 signed and numbered works.

i've noticed that you mentioned on more than one occasion, that you've written that dali's song of songs of solomon contained no EA, or artist's proofs, based on albert fields not making mention of it in his book.

is this reason enough to believe that EA's in this suite are forgeries.

i know dali's signature as well as my own, and feel that many of these EA's are authentic.

for example, copy and paste the following link, scroll down approximately half way, and observe the works listed for sale from this suite.  you'll notice that some are in fact are numbered EA:

http://www.artbrokerage.com/artist/dali/Salvador-Dali/prints/?p=4

your thoughts...

thank you for your valuable time,

jim

Answer
Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for your question; I appreciate the opportunity to give some further clarification to previous answers I have given on this question.  

It is true that Field does not note any EAs for the Song of Songs of Solomon suite.  Field also refers to known forgeries of these works that are marked EA.  It is for this that I have raised concern that graphics marked EA *may* be forgeries.  I apologize if I have given the impression that EAs of this suite are invariably forgeries. That sort of pronouncement is beyond my expertise, and indeed, I recently received a kind note from a professional appraiser confirming that there *were* almost assuredly EAs produced for this suite, despite Field's documentation.  I do not personally know whether these EAs would have been signed, but it seems reasonable.  In short, some legitimate EAs were very likely produced.  However, one should be cautious since there are also known forgeries marked EA; hence the need for professional consultation. As I have noted, I am not a professional authenticator or appraiser myself, and whenever I have expressed the possibility that an EA from Song of Songs may be a forgery, I have tried to be clear that questioners should really consult a professional for more information on authentication and value.  

In sum, Field's book makes a fine case that EAs from this suite have a certain likelihood of being forgeries, but no, one should not take from this that EAs in this suite are all forgeries.

Thank you again for your question.

Kind regards,
Elliott

Elliott H. King