Fine Art/Nathan Currier Lithograph

Question
A friend of mine has a 12 x 14 lithograph of the signing of the declaration of independence by Nathan Currier.  On the bottom right hand corner it has 2 Spruce Street, N.Y.  Can you please let me know if this might be an origianl?  I saw in a response to another person that it depends on the size of the painting.  What do you think?  They insist that it is an original and has been in their family for years.  Thank you.

Answer
Dear Denell,

The measurement for a Currier and/or Currier and Ives original lithograph is measured inside the plate marks and does not include the title area. There is a lithograph titled Declaration of Independence which has a scene with Washington sitting at a table/desk on the right. There is also an original release that is the same composition only reversed. The documented size inside the plate marks should be very close to 8.2 x 12.7 inches. There should be an obvious use of watercolors used to give color to the originally produced black and white plate lithograph. If you are uncertain; have a professional take a look at it for you.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley