Fine Art/A S Kimball Original Oil Painting

Question
Hi Stuart,

Thank you for taking your time to tell me about my painting. I would like to know about the artist and an approximate value.

It's an original oil on canvas board 18" X 24". The frame is fairly simple; painted and stained with some texture in the interior. The painting style appears to be Expressionistic and it depicts a cloudy sky, a boat in some marshes. The signature is in the right hand corner and it's written in block letters; A. S. Kimball. ,with all those periods after each initial and his last name. I can send additional images of the back and signature.

Again I wish to thank you for researching my painting.
Ann Eugene Oregon

Answer
Ann,
Arthur Smith Kimball may be your artist.  He was not a professional painter, but a professor of music at Oberlin College for many years, and helped to produce a book of hymns.  He did visit Ipswich, Massachusetts on Cape Ann during his summers, and enjoyed painting there.  He is generally not associated with the Cape Ann artists, though.  

An A.S. Kimball painting was sold at auction in 2007 for $350.  This oil on canvas was a 16x22 landscape depicting a river in late autumn.

Best of luck with your artwork,
Stu  

Stuart Cartwright