Fine Art/Salvador Dali, Song of Songs of King Salomon

Dear Elliott H. King.

I´m Cássio Gusson, and I have the Lithographic "Song 10" of the book Song of Songs of King Salomon.
The Lithographic, is signed, but I don´t have the COA for this item. I know if the series "Song of Songs" is a book if 12 lithographics, if 250 editions, signed and numered, printing with gold dust on Arches Paper and bound in style with a coat of bronze on the cover. But I don´´t have more infomations if Year, copies (I have the Artist Proof - EA) and informations for get the COA.

Thanks very much to your attention.
Cássio Gusson

Dear Cassio,

Thank you for your question.  I apologise for the delay it has taken for me to reply: I was out of town and away from my computer for a few days.

Although I am neither an authenticator nor an appraiser myself, based on my reading, I regret that I have to raise a question about your etching's authenticity.  According to Albert Field's 'Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', Dali executed a series of etchings in 1971 called 'Song of Songs of Solomon'.  Field does not mention any E.A. works for this series; he does however describe a number of forgeries that have proliferated that are based on the series.  According to Field, one Leon Amiel gave American retailers signed letters 'authenticating' the forged works based on 'Song of Songs'.  Some of these, Field notes, are marked EA, leading me to fear that your etching may be a forgery with what would then be a forged signature.  I am not in the position to confirm anything myself, but the fact that your etching is a signed artist's proof and Field does not describe any such proofs raises an obvious red flag.  If you are interested in selling your work and/or obtaining a COA, I would recommend contacting a certified appraiser who specialises in Dali's graphics.  Some possibilities include the Salvador Dali Archives in New York, the Dali Society in LA, and Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM.  All are easily searchable online, and all should be able to provide you with more detailed information and hopefully a COA if your work proves to indeed be legitimate.

I'm sorry to raise the spectre of doubt, though I hope this information is helpful.  Good luck!

All best,

Elliott H. King

As a professional art historian, I can answer questions related to the art and life of Salvador Dalí. I am neither an art broker nor an appraiser, so I cannot answer questions regarding a work's value or authenticity; however, I can refer you to individuals who work in the Dali market.

I am an art historian specializing in Salvador Dalí. For over ten years, I have been a pioneer in the critical study of ‘Late Dalí’ (i.e., the artist's work after 1940). I have presented extensively on aspects of Dalí’s production at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Tate Modern, L’Université de Lausanne, Cerisy la Salle, the University of London, and Harvard University, and I have been a guest lecturer at Cambridge University and the University of Chicago. I have published several essays about Dalí in addition to my book, 'Dalí, Surrealism, and Cinema' (Kamera Books, 2007). I have also contributed to major international exhibitions of Dalí's work, including the Dalí Centenary Exhibition (2004-05) and 'Dalí & Film' (2007-08).

BOOKS "Dalí: The Late Work", High Museum of Art, Atlanta in association with Yale UP, 2010. "Dalí, Surrealism and Cinema", Kamera Books, Herts (UK), 2007. ESSAYS, ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS • “Little Black Dress, Little Red Book: Dalí, Mao, and Monarchy (with Special Attention to Trajan’s Glorious Testicles)”, in Michael R. Taylor (ed.), The Dalí Renaissance: New Perspectives on His Life and Art after 1940, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 2008, pp. 90111. • “The Prodigious Story of the Lacemaker and the Rhinoceros”, in ibid, pp. 190204. • “Crazy Movies That Disappear”, in Matthew Gale (ed.), Dalí and Film, Tate Publishing, London / Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2007, pp. 214229. Published also in Spanish as "Dalí y el cine", Electa, Madrid, 2008. • “Le temps dalínien fait mouche: Réflexions sur les « montres molles »”, in Astrid Ruffa, Philippe Kaenel, Danielle Chaperon (eds.), "Salvador Dalí à la croisée des savoirs", Éditions Desjonquères, Paris, 2007, pp. 3752. • “Winged Fantasy with Lead Feet: The Influence of Llullism and Hiparxiologi on Dalí’s Mysticism”, in Hank Hine, William Jeffett and Kelly Reynolds (eds.), "Persistence & Memory: New Critical Perspectives on Dalí at the Centennial", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004, pp. 189193. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: ENTRIES • Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: BIBLIOGRAPHIES, FILMOGRAPHIES AND CHRONOLOGIES • “Dalí Filmography”, published in Matthew Gale (ed.), "Dalí and Film", op.cit., pp. 230231. • “A Cinematic Chronology of Dalí, 19411989”, in ibid, pp. 160163. • Compiled the most complete bibliography of Dalí resources todate, published in Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", op.cit., pp. 568598.

Ph.D, Art History and Theory (2010) University of Essex, Colchester, England M.A. with Distinction in Dissertation, History of Art (2001) Courtauld Institute of Art, London, England B.A. summa cum laude, Art History (hons., Phi Beta Kappa) University of Denver, Denver, Colorado