Fine Art/Salvador Dali respone of Question "EA"

Question
I have the signed lito print from the Dali collections  of "Philosopher Illuminated by the Moon" and it has an EA on left bottom corner with Dali signature in right bottom corner. Do you think this is a forgery also?

Thank you for your time, Jodi Ryan

Answer
Dear Jodi,

Thank you for your question.  Again, I am NOT a professional authenticator or appraiser, so my remarks that certain works MAY be forgeries should not be taken as definite. I am basing my comments on Albert Field's 'Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali'; questions of authenticity should really be addressed to a professional appraiser, such as the Dali Archives in NYC, or Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM.

I believe there is a good chance that your graphic is also a forgery.  This is not because of the 'EA' marking: many legitimate graphics are marked 'EA', which stands for 'epreuve d'artiste' #artist's proof# and means that the print was given to the artist or used to publicize the numbered edition.  The concern with "Philosopher Illuminated by the Moon" is that this is a graphic based on the 1939 painting, "Philosophy Illuminated by the Light of the Moon and the Setting Sun", and Dali very rarely made signed graphics based on his paintings.  There are a few exceptions, though I do not believe "Philosophy Illuminated by the Light of the Moon and the Setting Sun" is amongst them.  Further, the Field catalogue specifically describes a forged edition of this image produced by Gilbert Hamon.  

Sorry I do not have better news, and again, please keep in mind that this is only one possibility.  For more definite information, you may wish to contact a professional appraiser.

Kind regards,
Elliott

Elliott H. King