Fine Art/A.Sehring what?

Hi Mr. Cartwright,
After sending a lengthy description with images, I just received an email back from Adolf Sehring Studio, Inc telling me the "current retail value for your oil on canvas painting is $30,000."
My mom purchased the painting late 1960's. It's approx. 3ftx3ft. Besides the signature there are no visible markings on the back (maybe underneath the paper backing but don't want to rip!?).
My question is what would you recommend I do next...should I insure it, should I find a professional to clean it, take it to a museum, best way to care for it, hold on to it or sell it etc.  I've attached an image of the painting and have many more if you'd like to see.  Any advise you can provide would be fantastic.

If you can get $30,000 for your painting, don't think twice.  

At public auction, one Sehring brought $5,000 six years ago, but typically his works sell for a few hundred dollars.  Naturally, the artist and his broker(s) will trumpet huge and alluring "at retail" figures, because they are trying to create a market.  In the aftermarket, they don't sell too well, though that is not to say someone out there doesn't think them lovely enough to open a checkbook wide.  Alderfer Auction Company or Samuel T. Freeman & Company are two auctioneers who have dealt similarly sized Sehrings recently.  Contact them should you wish to sell.

I would not spend any time worrying about insurance, or cleaning.  If you like it, hang it and enjoy it.  It looks like a pretty picture.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration