Fine Art/Toulouse-Lautrec L'Automobiliste

Question
Lautrec print
Lautrec print  
Hello.
The reason of my email is to ask you for information about originality of a print I have in my possession. As a collector of fine automobilia, I was able to acquire a Lautrec's L'Automobiliste example many years ago. I know that was originality made in a short edition of only 20 or 25 examples.
Sadly I could never validate its originality, and that is why I am writing you. The print is done in wove paper, printed in black, and with the following measures (aprox):
   paper: 32.5cm x 50.5cm
   drawing: 21.5cm x 31.0cm

Has the HTL monogram on one side, but also Lautrec signature and again the HTL monogram on the other.
The condition of the print is good, with an slight tear on one side and some markings of bad care.

I am attaching a picture of it so you can see it.
I would appreciate any information you can provide me regarding this beautiful print.

Sincerely,

Maximilian

Answer
Hi Max,

The limited edition of 25 are original plate lithographs released by Toulouse Lautrec in 1898. The image was drawn onto the stone by the artist and printed on wove paper in either black or dark brown ink.
The original release was unsigned and had a red monogram stamp on less than half of them. They are extremely rare with 12 being in public collections. The original image size is 375 x 268 mm on 500 x 357 mm wove paper. Though the offset lithograph has been around since the turn of the century it is likely you have a mid-century reproduction.
I cannot think of one of the modern masters who released offset lithographs in limited editions. If you have a jewelers loupe the image lines of the original would be solid; without a repetitive pattern. I could see in your photos that yours had repetitive lines. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley
Headley Fine Art LLC
fineartgalleria.com

Dolly D Headley