Fine Art/Alec Stern

I have a ink sketch by Alec Stern.  It is called "The Lighthouse".  I am trying to find out whatever I can about it.  Could you share any information you might have on it?
Thanks so much.

Born in Bridgeport, CT on March 28, 1904. "Alec" Stern came to San Francisco with his family as an infant. He was raised there in Cow Hollow and was educated at Polytechnic High School. After graduating from Columbia University, he returned to California and entered the CSFA. He worked his way through school as a riveter in shipyards and playing in a dance band. Stern was a member of the art department of the San Francisco Chronicle for eight years. During 1935-44 he worked in NYC on art commissions. Upon returning to California, he established a studio-home and printing plant in San Mateo where he produced Christmas cards, etchings, and prints. Stern died in San Francisco on Nov. 10, 1994. Exh: SFAA, 1924-25; Peninsula AA; Chicago and Philadelphia Societies of Etchers (many awards). In: MM; NY Public Library.
Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"
Interview with the artist or his/her family; San Mateo Times, 11-25-1994 (obituary).

You might contact museums/galleries in San Mateo or Societies of Etchers.

Be well,
Maris Salmins oil painting restoration (our art portal)

Maris Salmins

PLEASE READ MY ENTIRE PROFILE TO FIND OUT IF YOUR QUESTION AND IMAGE FITS MY OFFER OF HELPING YOU. We can answer questions about fine art oil painting restoration, antique paintings, and painting oil painting landscapes. We only answer questions about oil paintings. Please do not ask us to identify paintings that do not have absolutely legible signatures with first name or initial plus last name. Please images of signatures must be absolutely close-up and sharp. We do not give advice about nude paintings. Do not send nude images.

I am + an artist for 20+ years + an antique painting dealer + an antique oil painting restorer

Salmagundi Club, Fifth Avenue, NY.

Only on my web site.

Formal drawing classes Latvian art institute.

Juried exhibitions and sole exhibitions

Confidential. See testimonies on restoration web site