Fine Art/Art Degree

Question
Dear Dan Twyman,

I just finished my undergraduate degree in languages, but I really love art and have decided to pursue this area professionally. I would like to find a university program that offers both fine arts and art history together. Will I have to go through another undergraduate degree, or is it possible to go directly to an MA, perhaps with the aid of some accelerated courses?

Best,

Cassandra

Answer
Hi Cassandra,

One of my clients is a college professor. I sent your question to him as he might have better insight. Here is his reply:

Dear Dan:
   Cassandra should be able to find a program that has both fine arts and art history.  Much will depend upon the program and university, but generally speaking, a person can pursue a master's degree without having a bachelor's degree in that area.  The university may require that she take a certain number of undergraduate pre-requisites, but again it all depends upon the program.  My brother, for example was a French major, who went on to do an MBA without any business courses on the undergraduate level.  I was a history major who went into theology on the graduate level (but I did have a few courses in theology but it was not required of me when I went to Marquette).  I would suggest that Cassandra first look for a school that is offering what she wants on the master's level and then talk to the Admissions Office to see what their requirements are for the program.  I hope this helps.  

Dan Twyman