Fine Art/Dali print

Question
I purchased the Dali "Wailing Wall" a couple of years ago for $2000.
It has five figures, is signed and on the bottom left  it has H C 36/65. What does the H C stand for? Also, I see on the internet the "Wailing Wall" print selling for anywhere from $150.00 to thousands of dollars. What are the differences, and how can I tell what I have?

Answer
Dear Sauni,

Thank you for your question, and I'm sorry it took me a few days to respond (I was out of town).  
There are two graphics titled 'Wailing Wall' -- one a single cooperative lithograph, and the other one of the suite 'Aliyah'.  From your description, I suspect you may have the 1978 single graphic, also known as 'Mur des lamentations'.  According to Albert Field's Complete Guide to Dali's Graphic Works, this lithograph was produced by Art Graphique Internationale in Paris in an edition of 300 -- a numbered edition 1-250 on Arches paper, and I-L (Roman numerals) on Lavis Fidelis.
HC stands for 'hors de commerce', or 'outside commerce'.  What this means is that in addition to the numbered edition, a certain number of graphics were made to be used as gifts or to advertise the numbered edition to galleries.  In some cases, HC graphics may be worth less because they are outside the original edition, but in other cases they actually may be worth more because there were fewer made (in this case, possibly 65).  Field's catalogue does not note any HC editions for 'Wailing Wall', though it is feasible that some were made and distributed. Particularly because none are noted in the catalogue, however, you will want to consult a professional appraiser or Dali authenticator to determine the authenticity of your work.

According to Bruce Hochman's 2007 price guide for Dali's graphic works, a genuine lithograph of 'Wailing Wall' can be valued at $5,800. I have found this book's valuations to be generally higher than actual value, but it provides a rough estimate. The $150 graphics are most likely reprints or forgeries, as a signed Dali graphic is invariably priced higher.  Again, for more information, please consult a professional Dali authenticator and/or appraiser.  Options include Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM; The Salvador Dali Society in Los Angeles; and the Dali Archives in New York.  All can be found easily on google.com.

Good luck.
Best,
Elliott  

Elliott H. King