Fine Art/Frans Hals

Question
Gypsy Girl
Gypsy Girl  
Dan,

Loved your answers to the listed question and your expertise in artwork. I have a question. I have a painting of Frans Hals Gypsy Girl (1620-1650) I looked up some information on it on line, and I believe that it is a reproduction. It does say Fiehl on the back of the frame. It also says Frans Hals 1580-1666 which was the time frame he lived in. Is there any way you can tell me how much this reproduction is worth? The frame says made in England and it looks very old. I have attached a picture for your review.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Marco Trento

Answer
Gypsy Girl
1628-30
Oil on wood, 58 x 52 cm
Musée du Louvre, Paris

Once a work is on display in a major museum, quite a few posters and replicas are created for sale as decorative art or low end prints.  I suspect that is what you have, but without being able to examine it, I'm not sure. Also, most of your museum works, were not re-created as limited edition or signed prints. In other markets like Picasso, Dai etc., we see hand signed limited edition that are nothing like the oils most are familiar with. The etched plate is the original in some cases. You might have an old museum store print?

Not sure if this info helps answer your question, might need to do more research.

Dan

Dan Twyman