Fine Art/Hoppman

I have read different blogs on this artist. Can you tell me if is piece is a fine art and approx worth. This was purchase by my mother in the 60-70's. I now own painting. Thanks fir your answer.

No doubt you have been in contact with the woman who is blogging on the subject of Horst Hoppman, (her website listed below.)  She contacted me through this service too, and my general advice was to stay off internet web sites when looking for fine art collectibles, and get into galleries to see real stuff in 3D, learn from longtime art dealers, and enjoy human-to-human discourse about art.  Nevertheless, not for me to quash the enthusiasm of "Hoppman" collectors. I'd recommend you contact Susan, she perhaps can value your artwork, and may be a buyer?

I also see evidence of a Hein Hoppman (1901-1982), who IS listed in art record databases, and has sold pieces at public auction in Germany (at a modest price of $250 or so).  His works are genre scenes: painterly oils, heavy brushstrokes.  They are clearly signed first and last name.  I suggest you contact Portnoy Galleries in Carmel, CA if you suspect you have a Hein Hoppman.   

Good luck!  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration