Fine Art/Original Renoir Etching

Hello, I recently purchase 2 Renoir Etchings on a cruise ship ($1000each). They are embossed with the Vollard Estate stamp and they are framed. I was told no more prints are being made. I have recently seen the same etchings on one website for $275 and another website for $2000. Why is there such a large variance in price? I think I was ripped off! thanks

Hi Shane,

Cruise ships are famous for selling art without correct documentation or explanation of what the works are, and sometimes are a complete rip off. This article details some of the issues in a somewhat comical way .

Nonetheless, this does not mean that you certainly got ripped off. $1000 is an understandable price for a Renoir etching RESTRIKE. Restrikes are usually made after the artist has died. Here are some examples .

An original Renoir etching usually runs about $5,000 and up .

As for why there is such a fluctuation in the pricing that you are seeing, it is because people commit fraud and sell fake works of art, or simply don't know what they are selling. You should always deal with a professional in the field, such as a fine art dealer with expertise in the artists you are interested in. Feel free to send me images of the works.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University