Fine Art/interprete par Troubetzkoy

I just bought a painting at auction by a French artist, Jacques Wolf. When we brought it home and were hanging it, we noticed that the painting had been relined and that on the bottom right in ink of the new liner was written "interprete par Troubetzkoy".The auction house owner swears the painting is not a copy but this would make me think that it may be. Do you have any interpretation of this. I would be very grateful. Thanks

It would be conjecture to try to figure out why that was there. My guess would be that it was a note written on the back of the canvas. It may have been in a place that was so critical for conserving and restoring the painting that the restorer couldn't make a window for it.

Auction houses are not all perfect. Not seeing the piece in-person makes it hard to really give you a good answer.

Paul (Paolo) Prince Troubetzkoy (1866 - 1938) was a listed artist and you could find his paintings selling for more than Wolfe's. Artists sometimes will make copies of better artists  works to improve their skills.

It is possible that Wolfe was doing that.  

Maris Salmins

PLEASE READ MY ENTIRE PROFILE TO FIND OUT IF YOUR QUESTION AND IMAGE FITS MY OFFER OF HELPING YOU. We can answer questions about fine art oil painting restoration, antique paintings, and painting oil painting landscapes. We only answer questions about oil paintings. Please do not ask us to identify paintings that do not have absolutely legible signatures with first name or initial plus last name. Please images of signatures must be absolutely close-up and sharp. We do not give advice about nude paintings. Do not send nude images.

I am + an artist for 20+ years + an antique painting dealer + an antique oil painting restorer

Salmagundi Club, Fifth Avenue, NY.

Only on my web site.

Formal drawing classes Latvian art institute.

Juried exhibitions and sole exhibitions

Confidential. See testimonies on restoration web site