Fine Art/Chagall Lithograph

Question
Dear Dan,

I was wondering if you could supply me with a list of questions that a gallery should be able to answer concerning the authenticity of a Chagall Lithograph.  I have asked for a "where has this print been" since its creation, but felt there might be more to query.  Is it usual for a gallery to be able to supply an ownership timeline?  Any assistance is appreciated as there is one print that I am currently considering.

Answer
The gallery will not always know the history of a piece because there are so many different situations. Authenticity is established using other means.

You need to verify the edition number against archived info(not just anyone has access to info).
You need to verify signature.
You need to verify paper size, paper type, medium and more.

It is a process and you have to trust that what you are being told is accurate. I don't trust anyone these days, so I check each piece in detail, and we use outside experts when brokering works, to make sure all are correct.

Dan

Dan Twyman