Fine Art/Dali Artist's Proof

Question
Hi Elliott

We have bought a 'Limited Edition, Artists Proof, Salvador Dali, Espana, 73cm x 46 cm' from a gallery.  The work is signed in pencil in the bottom right hand corner by Dali, with the letters 'AP' in the bottom right hand corner, both in pencil.  

We requested a certificate of authenticity which certifies "The above described painting is without doubt the work of the nominated artist.  The palette, brush strokes and subject are consistent with their works. The manner of opinion attests this opinion." The certificate is signed 'on behalf of the gallery director' though no name or qualification noted.

I would be interested to know your opinion as to whether this sounds like it is the authentic work as described on the certificate.

Thanks for your time.

Answer
Dear Robin,

Thank you for your question.  I am not an authenticator myself, so it is difficult for me to say much regarding your certificate of authenticity. Also, there are at least two graphics with the title 'Espana', so I'm not sure which one you have.  

This said, your certificate is very odd. Aside from the fact that Dali is never named, it attests that the 'described painting is without doubt the work of the nominated artist', but the question is the legitimacy of the graphic, not of the painting on which it is based.  The original painting could well have been by Dali, but perhaps the graphics were not authorised.  Nothing is said about the graphic or signature, and a certificate of authenticity really should have addressed the signature in detail.  Further, the certificate describes the 'palette, brush strokes and subject', which, again, are terms that would be appropriate to a painting and not to a graphic.  Finally, you have no name to which to attribute this opinion.  Basically, you have a form letter that could be used for any graphic, and all it really says is that the graphic is based on an authentic image by an unnamed artist.

Again, I am not qualified to say your work is fake, but I would recommend having it examined by a professional appraiser/authenticator who specialises in Dali's graphics.  Options would include Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM, or The Dali Archives in New York; both can be found easily using a Google search.  Another word of warning: according to Albert Field's catalogue, 'The Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', there is a known forgery of a work titled 'Espana' on the market.

Sorry not to have more promising news for you, though I hope this is helpful.  A gallery should stand behind the works it sells, so if you do some investigating and find something suspicious, they should be able and willing to address it.

Good luck.
Best,
Elliott  

Elliott H. King