Fine Art/Dali litho for La divina Comedia

Question
Dear Sir,

I'm Guido van der Vorst from The Netherlands.
I'm trying to find information about the Dali prints for La divina Comedia.
I hope to buy one. It's Dante in Doubt (Paradise) its numbered  52/100.
Can you tell me if this serie is 'rare' and on what paper it is pressed?
Maybe then I can make up if the price is right.

Thank you very much for the help.
Best Regards,

Guido van der Vorst

Answer
Dear Mr. van der Vorst,

Thank you for your question.  A little bit about Dali's Divine Comedy series: Dali was commissioned to design a set of watercolors (later made into woodblock prints) by the Italian government to celebrate the 700th anniversary of Dante's birth.  Dali created 101 Divine Comedy watercolors between 1951 and 1960.  The finished suite was published in Paris by Joseph Foret in a special edition.  A larger edition was then published by Jean Estrade at Les Heures Claires.

The Divine Comedy prints are especially complicated because about 8,534 editions were published between French, German, and Italian editions, and most were subsequently taken apart so the images could be sold separately.  You say that the image that interests you in numbered 52/100.  I'm not sure to what edition that refers: Joseph Foret's edition was numbered in Roman numerals (I-XXI), and the Jean Estrade edition is numbered 1-15, 16-165, 166-515, 516-865, and 866-4765.  There is also an Italian edition numbered A-Z and another in Roman numerals.  Then there is a German edition of 1000.  According to Albert Field, 70 sets of Jean Estrade's Les Heures Claires edition, which should be on Rives paper, were signed by Dali in 1970, and some were numbered /100, so perhaps the work in question is from that set?  As you can see, it's very difficult to tell.

You may want to direct your question to the Dali Archives in New York, as they specialise in Dali's graphics and do authenticating, so they will have more information on all the various Divine Comedy sets.  Sorry I can't be more definitive, but hopefully this gives you more information and will help in your decision.

Good luck!
Kind regards,
Elliott

Elliott H. King