Fine Art/Inherited etching or litho

\'Theatiner K.\'
'Theatiner K.'  

Could you please take a look at this etching, or lithograph, that I have attacked to this email. My wife’s father brought it backup from Germany after WW2 and she recently inherited it. After much research I believe that I have tracked down the artist to Willy Scholz. The title of it is 'Theatiner K.' and is 47/100. I did a lot of searching for art of Theatiner and found very little.

My wife’s father was a Colonel in the army and was responsible for tracking down war criminals. Given his background during and after the war we feel that there must have been a reason for him to return home with this piece of art. We feel that this image might have had some significance to the war. We thought it was interesting that these religious priests or monks are going out to this man dressed in a suit in the foreground. What I also discovered about Theatiner is that Hitler loved this church. Could the man in the suit be Hitler?

Dear Dan,

Your etching’s full title is "Theatiner K." Blick auf den Hauptaltar der Münchner Kirche. Loose translation is "Theatiner K." View of the main altar of the church in Munich. I was not able to locate a specific history of the etching, but there is a German auction house, Peter Kiefer, that sold one of the etchings this year for an undisclosed amount. I will give you the auction house website so that you can contact them for more information. The sale date was 4/24/2010 and the lot number was 4979.
www. Click on the English site version if you do not read German.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.