Fine Art/Looking for information about painter and painting

Hi there.  I am trying to find out some information about a painting that we have inherited.  The painter is J. Reffitt-Oldfield and I have attached a photo of the painting.  There is a sticker on the back which maddeningly has some pieces missing so the complete text cannot be read but it says "... ye in the sickle for the harvest is upon .." then is says "J. Reffitt-Oldfield c/o Mr. James Newman, 24 Soho Square, London." I would be very grateful if you could tell me anything about this painter and this work.  Many thanks.

Dear Morag,

It is a beautiful landscape. I was able to find the artist J. Reffitt-Oldfield listed in artprice; but I was not able to find any auction records or a biography. I believe he was from England as that is where he purchased his artist supplies. The other person mentioned on the back of the painting, Mr. James Newman, 24 Soho Square, London; was an established artist supplier of painting and related materials. According to an article on the business; their business was located at several different addresses between the years 1784-1933. The partnership between James Newman and Richard William Newman, trading as James Newman at 24 Soho Square, was dissolved on 31 December 1849. Though not definite, it does seem to place your artist in England during early to mid 19th century.
This is all of the information I can find at this time. Do an occasional search on the artist as new information is being added constantly. You also may want to contact the major auctions houses and see if they have information on the artist. I hope this is of some help.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.