Fine Art/Redon

Hi Dolly,

I am considering making an acquisition of a lithograph by Odilon Redon, its one of the plates from the 3rd series of "La Tentation de Saint-Antoine".

The dealer has a plate I like selling separately from the portfolio. However it is from the unsigned 2nd edition of 220 copies (210 + 10 hors commerce), rather than the 1st edition of 50 (signed).

From looking at auction records the price of the particular portfolio (22 lithographs; unsigned 2nd edition of 220 copies) seem to fluctuate quite a bit.

$4,700 (Christies 2001) - $33,302 (Christies 2003) - $11,000 (Sothebys 2006)

All of them are the same postponed edition in good condition. I am interested to know what could be the reason for it? and is 800 Euro for 1 lithograph from the portfolio a good price in this  case?

Thank you very much for your time,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dear Mel,

The variance on sale prices on art from year to year and auction to auction is due to many factors including the popularity of a particular artist or a segment of their work at the time of the auction; if the turnout at the auction is good and if the right buyers for an artistís work are present; condition; pre-sale promotion; and the economy in general. There are notorious bad years for art such as in the early eighties.

The value of individual prints in a portfolio varies greatly based on the popularity of a particular image. I would suggest using the plate number of your particular print as a key word search with Redon and see if any galleries have a copy in inventory. Most will not post pricing on the internet and require people to contact them personally for more information. Another option is contacting the major auction houses and asking them if they can give an approximate value.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.