Fine Art/Several century old painting

You looked like the best qualified to answer my question although I am not positive so please feel free to ignore my question. I purchased this several century old painting at an estate sale and would like a general idea of what to do with it (i.e. worth restoring or not) It is a painting on canvas (I am assuming oil but dont know for sure) of Mary Queen of Heaven. It is in a very old (and not in great shape wood carved frame)  It came from an estate of someone who had a lot of art and furniture and had acquired most of it in Europe. They also did travel a decent amount to South America so I wouldn't be shocked if it came from there. It had been in the families possession for several decades. There may be a signature in the lower right corner but it would need to be cleaned for me to be sure hence me trying to figure out if it is worth the cost or not. Anyway, here is a link to several photos.

Hi Chris, I am not familiar with this piece. Make sure to keep it in its frame and do not clean it yourself (if it isn't too late). The frame can preserve the piece, and within hours of being handled outside of the frame, the work can start fading. So be very careful.

As far as learning more about the work, I recommend contacting Christies or Sothebys auction houses, as they are the two largest auction houses in the world. They may have an expert who knows this piece. If there is one near where you live, you can also take it to a Bonham's Valuation Day . I hope this helps, and good luck to you! Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University