Fine Art/Woman and Dog by Pierre Bonnard

Question
I am looking for a print of Pierre Bonnard's Woman and Dog. The original is in the Phillips Gallery in Washington DC. I have been unable to locate a print. Could you point me in the correct direction?

Answer
Dear Louise,

As you mentioned; Bonnardís painting Woman with a Dog, 1922; is owned by The Phillips Collection. Artists maintain copyright privileges on their paintings even if they are owned by someone else; unless the artist or the artistís estate transfers copyright ownership to another person or organization in writing. I mention this because it appears this is the case with this painting of Bonnardís. A printed image of the painting can only be made under the approval of The Phillips Collection. This is why you cannot locate a copy. They do not exist.

I am not familiar with the copyright laws concerning reproduction of an image using oil paint on canvas; but I believe if it is hand painted and has some changes from the original it is allowed. I was able to locate a company that will create an oil painting reproduction of the image. Unless Phillips decides later to produce a poster of the print, this is probably the only way you can get a reproduction. You may want to contact The Phillips Collection and ask if they plan to create a poster of the painting in the future. Otherwise, here is the link to the oil painting reproduction: http://www.soho-art.com/cgi-bin/shop/bonnard.cgi?page=4

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley