Fine Art/Woman and Dog by Pierre Bonnard

I am looking for a print of Pierre Bonnard's Woman and Dog. The original is in the Phillips Gallery in Washington DC. I have been unable to locate a print. Could you point me in the correct direction?

Dear Louise,

As you mentioned; Bonnardís painting Woman with a Dog, 1922; is owned by The Phillips Collection. Artists maintain copyright privileges on their paintings even if they are owned by someone else; unless the artist or the artistís estate transfers copyright ownership to another person or organization in writing. I mention this because it appears this is the case with this painting of Bonnardís. A printed image of the painting can only be made under the approval of The Phillips Collection. This is why you cannot locate a copy. They do not exist.

I am not familiar with the copyright laws concerning reproduction of an image using oil paint on canvas; but I believe if it is hand painted and has some changes from the original it is allowed. I was able to locate a company that will create an oil painting reproduction of the image. Unless Phillips decides later to produce a poster of the print, this is probably the only way you can get a reproduction. You may want to contact The Phillips Collection and ask if they plan to create a poster of the painting in the future. Otherwise, here is the link to the oil painting reproduction:

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.