Fine Art/henri matisse, woman in red

Question
woman in red robe
woman in red robe  
Walking home one evening recently in Manhattan, I came across 2 paintings set out by the trash.  Figuring I'd at least use the materials to paint over, I took them home.  One was a distressed abstract painting of a horse, signed Etengoff/56 (do you know anything about this?  possibly Barney Etengoff?)  The other is a portrait of a black-haired woman dressed in a red robe, sitting in front of a window.  I actually didn't care for the painting very much and was planning to paint over it right away, but then I noticed the signature Henri Matisse in the lower left hand corner.  Are you familiar with this image?  Should I hold off before I go ahead and paint over it?  Thanks.

Answer
Dear Cayle,

I know that you realize finding an original painting by Matisse in the trash is extremely unlikely. With that said, it appears to be very much in the manner of the artist. Is it on canvas? I can take a closer look if you can send me high resolution jpeg images of the front, back, close up of the signature and any other writing. Email them as attachments rather than inserts to dolly12@aol.com. I haven't seen your personal work so maybe the one you would paint over this one could end up being the work of a master far more desirable than this image. :)
I tried to find more info on Etengoff and based on what I found, I agree the artist is likely to be Barney Etengoff. It appears he was more of an illustrator for books than paintings and this is what makes research more difficult. Keep looking and you may come across more info on the artist. I found a family blog and I would write to the owner of the blog who says Barney Etengoff is their uncle. Just Google and you will find it. Great luck on your research!

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley