Fine Art/henri matisse, woman in red

Walking home one evening recently in Manhattan, I came across 2 paintings set out by the trash.  Figuring I'd at least use the materials to paint over, I took them home.  One was a distressed abstract painting of a horse, signed Etengoff/56 (do you know anything about this?  possibly Barney Etengoff?)  The other is a portrait of a black-haired woman dressed in a red robe, sitting in front of a window.  I actually didn't care for the painting very much and was planning to paint over it right away, but then I noticed the signature Henri Matisse in the lower left hand corner.  Are you familiar with this image?  Should I hold off before I go ahead and paint over it?  Thanks.

Hi Cayle, what an interesting story. Please send me a photograph of each of the pieces so that I can possibly give you the name of the work and details about it. Here is a good example of a signed Matisse print for comparison. As you probably know, there are forgeries and fraud abound, so we don't want to mistake a poster for an authentic work.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University