Fine Art/henri matisse, woman in red

Question
matisse
matisse  
Walking home one evening recently in Manhattan, I came across 2 paintings set out by the trash.  Figuring I'd at least use the materials to paint over, I took them home.  One was a distressed abstract painting of a horse, signed Etengoff/56.  The other is a portrait of a black-haired woman dressed in a red robe, sitting in front of a window.  I actually didn't care for the painting very much and was planning to paint over it right away, but then I noticed the signature Henri Matisse in the lower left hand corner.  Are you familiar with this image?  Should I hold off before I go ahead and paint over it?  Thanks.

Answer
Hmmm. It does bear a resemblence to some Matisse works? I do not see the same image in any of my art books or online? The few Matisse works I have personally examined were signed on the lower right. You need to determine medium. The piece needs to be examined by someone that knows how to identify an original work vs a replica. Depends on where you are located etc.

Dan

Dan Twyman