Fine Art/oil painting identification

Sci Fi Painting
Sci Fi Painting  
I acquired an oil painting 10 years ago in Rochester, NY. The previous owner bought it at an estate auction in New York City in 1972.
At that auction there were 13 paintings sold- all were science fiction themed and 12 of the 13 were pulp magazine covers.
The painting I have is the 13th painting form that auction. (Never identified as pulp artwork.)
I have been trying in vain to identify this painting and artist for the past 10 years.
Though the original owner collected pulp artwork, I'm doubtful that this particular piece was ever used in that capacity.

The signature is faded and seems to read "R.A. Luca" with a comet icon below the signature.

The dimensions of the image are 24 1/2" x 31 1/2"

I'd like to get any info on this. I have someone interested in purchasing it from me, but before I sell it, I want to make sure I get a fair price for it. I do have pictures available. Thank You for your time.

Dear Robert,

I can see the pulp magazine relationship in your painting. They are very collectable. I will try to identify your artist if you can email additional photos of the entire painting front and back, close up of the signature and any other writing to Please take high resolution and clear photos attached to rather than inserted in the email.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.