Fine Art/Ben Shahn

Question
March 3-28
March 3-28  
Hi. I was given a painting by Ben Shahn titled "March 3-28". It seems to be very old, and was painted on a strange, cardboard-esque medium. After searching a bit, I couldn't find if the original was already in posession or not. I'd like to know how I can go about verifying its authenticity. I've owned it for a decade, and have always had it up on the wall, but as time goes by the more surious I am about it. Its frame is dry rotted wood, tacks are tarnished. I know this work I possess is old, but I'm sure that doesn't mean its still not the original.

Answer
Dear Josh,

Your print is a Ben Shahn poster titled “March 3-28” for his 1952 Downtown Gallery Exhibition. The date of the exhibition is debatable from the information online as one auction house has it dated 1964.

It is a popular open edition poster that is currently printed in several mediums; including canvas. A vintage copy in very fine condition has a bit more value than the modern reproductions. You can Google “Ben Shahn March 3-28” to get more information.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley