Fine Art/Cecil Aldin

Question
I recently purchased a pair of Cecil Aldins chromolithographs - Hyde Park and Brighton.  They are in the original wood frames.  The pictures are in good shape but the matting in a little rough.  The framed pictures are 17.5 x 28".  Any information you can provide about this artist and his work and the value would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Dear Maggie,

You can read the artist's biography on several sites. I found this Wikipedia bio for you to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Aldin. Aldin's work is highly collectable and the value of individual prints can vary greatly. Some images are more desirable than others. I found that your two prints tend to sell as a pair rather than separately. It is good you have both. I cannot give you an exact value, but I found your pair to range anywhere from $500-1500. There are many variables on value on even the same image. Condition is a very important determinant of value. I would take your prints to the framer and have them reframe using acid free mat and backing. You can still use the vintage frame, but allowing the old paper continued contact with your prints will cause damage that can reduce their value.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley