Fine Art/Chagall original lithograph

Question
Hi Dan
I was looking at what seems to be a reputable art gallery in north London and saw La Ciel de Amoureux by Marc Chagall (M393) in the window and listed as an "original lithograph" from 1963.  I was wondering what exactly is meant by original lithograph vs just lithograph, which I saw listed on some other pieces, such as one Miro labeled "Composition (1956)."  Any help on understanding this difference or comment on these pieces, both of which I like, would be a great help.

Thanks

Answer
An offset lithograph is a photomechanical process, while an original lithograph is hand worked and requires more labor. The value of an original lithograph is much higher than an offset.
Chagall works that are in the original lithograph category, are sometimes un-signed as they were taken out of print books etc. The issue is authenticity. How do you know it's authentic? You don't. To find out takes time and money and the seller should have hired an outside expert to do an independent review of the work and generate new documents. You will have to decide if they are selling a legit work or a fake. I'm in the USA, so helping you accomplish this is a bit difficult. I can tell you that each work we sell here has new documents from outside experts and we have never had a single issue when it comes to authenticity.

Dan

Dan Twyman