Fine Art/Mondrian watercolor

I have come across a framed watercolor painting titled Large Chrysanthemum. It does not appear to be a print but the frame is sealed and I have not opened it. A tag attached to the back of the frame reads Piet Mondrian Large Chrysanthemum c. 1908 water color (dimensions) the collection of Mr. and Mrs. Leigh B. Block. I cannot see a signature but there is water damage on the bottom where it should be. I cannot find any information at all on this painting and its location. Could I have stumbled on an original? Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Frannie,

I researched Mondrian and it appears he has created many chrsanthemum paintings. Usually if a painting identifies as part of a collection; it is because it is a copy of the painting in that collection. I found that the Art Institute of Chicago has work from the collection of  Mr. and Mrs. Leigh B. Block. They also have Mondrian paintings in their inventory. You may want to contact them with a photo and get their opinion on if it can be an original by the artist. I hope this information is helpful. Here is their web address:

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.