Fine Art/Salvadore DAli Alice in Wonderland Portfolio

Question
I have recently purchased the Alice in Wonderland Portfolio, with drawings by Salvador Dali.  I have heard that there are fraudulently copies of the portfolio.  The one that I purchased comes with the original shipping box and book cover and is number 1471. Dali has signed the frontispiece and it has the original etching of alice.

It appears to be correct in every way, is there anything that I should look for.  It would seem to be a lot of trouble for someone to reproduce this book in such detail.  Thank you

Answer
Dear Jimmy,

Thank you for your question. I am not an appraiser or authenticator, so for a clearer idea of your portfolio's legitimacy, you would want to consult with a professional authenticator such as the Dali Archives in New York or Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM. As far as particulars about this suite, I can tell you that according to Albert Field's book, 'The Official Catalogue of Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', there were 2800 copies of this series printed, plus artist proofs: #I-CC on Rives + a suite of 13 on Japon nacre, 1-2500 on Mandeure, and 1/100-100/100 on Rives.  There were also several EA "epreuve d'artiste/artist proof". You noted that yours is number 1471, so it seems to be from the Mandeure edition.

In most cases of fraudulent graphics, graphics are sold individually rather than in complete sets.  This is not always true, of course, but if you have the shipping box and the whole suite is in a book, it is less likely to be fake than if you just had one or two lithographs, per se.  The best would be to consult a professional, though there are some easy things you can look for to build a case for authenticity:
1. The first is the numbering.  Yours does at least *appear* to be numbered as one would expect.  
2. You can also check paper: Mandeure is a commercial brand of paper that should have a watermark that reads along the lines of 'Chiffon Mandeure'.  
3. You can also measure size, since sometimes fraudulent graphics are printed on different sized paper from the original.  The engraving of Alice should be about 15 1/4" x 10" on 22 5/8" x 16 7/8" paper, while lithos are usually 15 5/8" x 10 1/2", though there are some variations.  Field describes an edition of known counterfeits of Alice in Wonderland produced by Collectors Guild from 1980 that are 23 1/8" x 15 3/4" on 29 1/2" x 21 3/8" paper. These are numbered /300 and produced on Infinity paper.  Dali did not supervise the production of this larger size nor, according to Field, did he sign them.

If your suite does not match all these criteria, don't despair, but do contact a professional. If yours seems 'correct in every way', it is likely to be authentic, though only a certified specialist would be able to confirm that and possibly issue a certificate of authenticity.

I hope this is helpful -- good luck!
All best,
Elliott

Elliott H. King