Fine Art/Carlos Ruano Llopis

Question
I have what appears to be an obvious reproduction on canvas of a Carlos Ruano Llopis bullfighter painting. On the back, at the edge of the canvas, there is printed the words "Art Reproduction Co. Inc." Are these reproductions commom and are they valuable at all?

Answer
Dear Clay,

Reproducing famous artwork on canvas became popular during the mid-20th century. Since then there are hundreds of companies that reproduce work both on canvas and paper. China has a huge market of actual oil on canvas reproductions. Hundreds of artists sit in large warehouses painting reproductions for pennies. The "starving artist" shows that travel nationally is an example of an outlet of this work. The value is only decorative and with the amount on the market their value further diminishes.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley