Fine Art/Lawrence W. Lee Painting

Dear Dolly:

I found a really amazing portrait of an American Indian in a local antique shop with multiple vendors.  This particular painting is 40 x 40, and is signed Lawrence W. Lee on the lower left-hand corner.  Next to his name is a "copyright symbol," followed by the year 1982.

I researched the artist online and was surprised to see that his paintings were valued in the $1,000's.  Am I correct about the value of this paintings?  Are they valuable, and are his painting sought after/collectible?

Thank you for your time and consideration

Dear Jeff,

I reviewed some auction prices from the secondary market and his work has sold in the range you mention. Retail they most certainly go for more. Since the artist is still living; you may want to have him authenticate it for you. I would say his work is highly collectable art that is sure to hold; if not increase; in value in the future.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.