Fine Art/Lawrence W. Lee Painting

Question
Dear Dolly:

I found a really amazing portrait of an American Indian in a local antique shop with multiple vendors.  This particular painting is 40 x 40, and is signed Lawrence W. Lee on the lower left-hand corner.  Next to his name is a "copyright symbol," followed by the year 1982.

I researched the artist online and was surprised to see that his paintings were valued in the $1,000's.  Am I correct about the value of this paintings?  Are they valuable, and are his painting sought after/collectible?

Thank you for your time and consideration

-Jeff

Answer
Dear Jeff,

I reviewed some auction prices from the secondary market and his work has sold in the range you mention. Retail they most certainly go for more. Since the artist is still living; you may want to have him authenticate it for you. I would say his work is highly collectable art that is sure to hold; if not increase; in value in the future.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley