Fine Art/signature on my mother's prints

My mother died this year, leaving many unsigned prints. We are part of an OPEN STUDIO Art Tour next week.
What do I need to do to qualify as the person who can sign these prints & keep the authenticity of the work ?

Thank you,

Dear Mimi,

I am sorry for your loss. I hope you are doing well. Posthumously “signed” art can be done several ways. The most common method is to create an “estate stamp” created from a facsimile of the artist’s signature and accompanied by an estate COA. This must be done by the legal owners of the deceased artists’ estate. Some estates use the estate stamp and also hand sign by a qualified third party. In all instances dealers and collectors consider posthumously signed work as less desirable and thus not as valuable as the same print that has been hand signed by the artist. If you decide on the estate stamp; I suggest you use quality printing of accompanying paperwork including a biography of the artist.

I hope this is helpful information.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.