Fine Art/signature on my mother's prints

Question

My mother died this year, leaving many unsigned prints. We are part of an OPEN STUDIO Art Tour next week.
What do I need to do to qualify as the person who can sign these prints & keep the authenticity of the work ?

Thank you,

mimi

Answer
Dear Mimi,

I am sorry for your loss. I hope you are doing well. Posthumously “signed” art can be done several ways. The most common method is to create an “estate stamp” created from a facsimile of the artist’s signature and accompanied by an estate COA. This must be done by the legal owners of the deceased artists’ estate. Some estates use the estate stamp and also hand sign by a qualified third party. In all instances dealers and collectors consider posthumously signed work as less desirable and thus not as valuable as the same print that has been hand signed by the artist. If you decide on the estate stamp; I suggest you use quality printing of accompanying paperwork including a biography of the artist.

I hope this is helpful information.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley