Fine Art/Austrian Etching

Question
Unknown
Unknown  

I have an “Original Etching made in Austria”.  The etching has some water
damage and I would like to know if the etching is worth restoring.  The artist
appears to be “G Lambry”.  There is another signature which I cannot read.  
The size of the etching is 7 1/2” wide and 9 1/2’ high. Attached is a photo of
the etching.  Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.  

Chet Janis

Answer
Dear Chet,

I'm a Renaissance art historian so I don't usually appraise artworks or advise on restoration.

Firstly I would say that anything which has to be announced as 'original' or 'made in ...' possibly has a very limited value in monetary terms. Lambry is also a name which is unfamiliar to me.

Secondly, art restoration can be quite expensive as it is extremely time consuming for the restorer and requires a huge amount of skill and training.

My advice therefore is as follows. If you're simply fond of the etching and you wish to restore it for personal aesthetic reasons then go ahead and do so providing you understand that it could cost a great deal of money. On the other hand, if you wish to restore the print in order to sell it for profit, then I would say that the potential restoration cost would perhaps outweigh any profit.

Best wishes,

Samantha

Samantha Hughes-Johnson