Fine Art/Austrian Etching

I have an “Original Etching made in Austria”.  The etching has some water
damage and I would like to know if the etching is worth restoring.  The artist
appears to be “G Lambry”.  There is another signature which I cannot read.  
The size of the etching is 7 1/2” wide and 9 1/2’ high. Attached is a photo of
the etching.  Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.  

Chet Janis

Dear Chet,

I'm a Renaissance art historian so I don't usually appraise artworks or advise on restoration.

Firstly I would say that anything which has to be announced as 'original' or 'made in ...' possibly has a very limited value in monetary terms. Lambry is also a name which is unfamiliar to me.

Secondly, art restoration can be quite expensive as it is extremely time consuming for the restorer and requires a huge amount of skill and training.

My advice therefore is as follows. If you're simply fond of the etching and you wish to restore it for personal aesthetic reasons then go ahead and do so providing you understand that it could cost a great deal of money. On the other hand, if you wish to restore the print in order to sell it for profit, then I would say that the potential restoration cost would perhaps outweigh any profit.

Best wishes,

Samantha Hughes-Johnson

I am an art historian and my speciality is Renaissance Florence, although I have an excellent knowledge of the Renaissance in Europe too. I can answer your questions regarding visual and textual primary sources produced during this period although I DO NOT APPRAISE PAINTINGS OR ANTIQUES.

I have experience in independent research and have produced several, as yet unpublished works. My research has taken me to London, Paris, Florence, Rome, Prague, Milan etc.

I belong to the Association of Art Historians.

I have a first-class honours degree in the humanities with art history, a postgraduate certificate in research methodology and I am currently researching towards my PhD.