Fine Art/Unknown Oil Painting

Oil Painting
Oil Painting  
Dear Dolly

I'm searching for the artist and/or name of this painting. In the lower left
hand corner it has the initials L.G. or L.C. written. Below those initials are the
numbers 23 which I assume stand for 1923.

Thanks for your help!

Dear Adam,

I was able to locate your artist based on his unique monogram style. He is Austrian artist Gilbert Lehner, (1844-1923). The date on the painting is actually 1893. The nine may look like a 2 to you.

I am unable to locate much information on him at this time. I did find a response to another inquiry at a museum that talks about the artist. The museum recommends the person contact the museum in Vienna. I will insert the full article below including contact information. You may want to continue researching using keywords: artist Gilbert Lehner. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Gilber Lehner (1844-1923),was a scenic artist and stage designer based primarily at the Burgtheater in Vienna.  A large number of his works are housed at the Austrian Theater Museum, Vienna (formerly Theater Collection of the Nationalbibliothek). According to the chronologies of the Burgtheater, Kätchen von Heilbron was not in repertory during Lehner's tenure at the Burgtheater.  It is possible he may have designed the production for another theater in Vienna.

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.